Hamilton Hall stands at the heart of the Montana State University campus and was one of the original buildings designed by renowned Bozeman architect Fred Willson in 1910. Originally a women’s dormitory, this four story brick building had stood the test of time, but was definitely worse for wear. The project consisted of the complete renovation of the first and second floors, as well as the north entry stairs. To provide for more flexibility for future use, a steel-framed structure was designed to replace the existing wood bearing walls. BCE provided brick testing services to evaluate the existing historic brick for strength in supporting gravity and seismic loads. Because BCE could justify the existing brick walls for current code-required seismic loads, significant cost savings were achieved without the need for a new secondary lateral system.