Central School – Kalispell, MT

Design Team: A&E Architects
Owner: The Museum at Central School
Completion Date: 1999

Built in 1884, the Central School building in Kalispell, MT has served the community faithfully for over 120 years. After many years of hard use and nearly 10 years of vacancy, the building was in need of significant restoration, both architecturally and structurally. BCE teamed with James R. McDonald Architects (now A&E Architects) to renovate and restore the original building and to produce "A Museum for the 21st Century." The original brick building with wood floors was upgraded to support increased floor loading from public gatherings in the museum. In addition, the unreinforced masonry walls were reinforced with seismic steel frames to ensure the safety of visitors and staff in the case of a seismic event.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: